Happy first day of Summer friends and followers! June 20th and what a beautiful first day of Summer it was. The sun was shining and I was just craaaaving a key lime treat! Seems to me that tangy sweet lime accompanies warm, Summer days well and so I decided to whip up somethin’ to embrace the change of seasons 😀 .
I love citrus flavours, but I’m admittedly not much of a pie person (cue the gasp!). But hubby loves ’em and I can dig a slice once in awhile. Now, I have never attempted to bake a lime pie before. But why not try? The recipe I found was super easy and I was able to successfully bake it while Levi was napping – which is definitely a plus. It took about 30 minutes, and it is SO addicting. You won’t be able to stop at just one slice ❤ .
Confession time: So I did NOT use actual key limes. They are just waaay too small to be bothered with and too hard to find (gave up searching after 2 stores :P! ) So I used plain, ol’ limes and it really made no difference on the taste factor in my opinion.
So, if the mood strikes ya, try out this recipe! The crust is simple for being homemade, and I love the whipped topping. I’m sure if you were in a REAL hurry, you could just use a store bought pie crust and a can of whipping cream. The pie would still be delightful, no doubt! 🙂
Enjoy the rest of your week!
Why, good morning! I hope you’re doing well. It’s been a terribly hot and sticky week here where we are. As most of you know, we just recently moved into our new house and were eager to run the central air while we were unpacking. However, sometimes unexpected things happen, and it wasn’t working properly 😥 . So we’ve been gradually unpacking bit by bit, and sweating it out all the while. Cold showers mid day, day trips to places indoors where we can bask in their nice cool air…anything to keep cool! Drinking lots of lemonade, iced tea and indulging in frozen treats have been helping as well ;).
When Matt went to work his 24 hour shift the other day, I didn’t really know what to make for myself for dinner. It’s hard cooking for one person sometimes! And I just wanted something that would be refreshing….didn’t want to turn on my oven or stove top AT ALL. I ended up making this delicious salad which was just the thing I needed! The recipe is super easy and it makes the perfect side dish for any BBQ/ Summer time meal!
Cucumber Tomato Salad
2 cucumbers, sliced and quartered
5 Roma tomatoes, quartered
3 green onions
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
Dill seasoning, and salt & pepper to taste!
1). Stir to combine tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions in large bowl.
2). Whisk oil and vinegar, dill, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
3). Pour dressing over veggies, and sprinkle with feta.
4). Refrigerate a few hours before serving. Enjoy 🙂 !
This salad is healthy and delicious and has no carbs! Light, refreshing and like I said, the perfect side dish.
*What are some of your favourite Summer side dishes?*
Some of us ladies go for our regular mani/ pedis, others go and get their highlights for the Summer. For me, I can’t keep up with that type of regular maintenance 😉 . I like to get highlights, sure. Or the odd pedicure is delightful but can be pricey if you keep it up. I prefer to highlight and enhance what I’ve been given by wearing some of these beauty products. And so, without further adieu, these are some of my top fave beauty products this Summer.
1) Revlon “Long Lasting Lipstick” in “Smoked Peach” – Is about $8 and I think it’s the perfect summery shade! And Revlon is a brand that is definitely more affordable. Apparently is a close contender to MAC “Ravishing” lipstick which sells for $15. I haven’t compared these two products specifically but would love to hear feedback if you have!
2) Covergirl “Eye Enhancing Trio” in “Shimmering Sands” – This is my go – to palette. The colours would be flattering on blue, brown or green eyes, in my opinion. Even the name sounds inviting and Summery 😉 .
3) E.L.F. “Shimmering Facial Whip” in “Lilac Petal” is a cheap (ONLY $1!!) highlighter that’s a steal of a deal. It provides a natural glow, and is a close substitute for the more pricier “High Beam” by Benefit. I know they sell E.L.F products at Target (however they pulled out of Canada – sad, right?!) but sometimes you can score them at Winners and Giant Tiger depending on your location. In the U.S. Walmart and Walgreens carries them!
4) This blush is ahh-mazing. NYX blush in “Terracotta” is a total dupe for MAC “Peaches” which is fine by me. I’d rather put my money towards something else other than blush if this is such a close sub! I bought mine at Target on clearance before it closed down in Canada (I know, you don’t want to be reminded 😥 )and it’s lasted me all Summer so far. However, I didn’t leave my fellow Canadians hanging, and did my research: you can purchase NYX products including this blush at Rexall, Pharmaplus and Dell pharmacies. 😀
5) Essence *NEW* “Lash Princess Volume Mascara” – awesome product and makes my eyelashes, dark, voluminous and look like I’m wearing extensions (if I apply more than one coat). It’s brush is designed to lift and separate I buy the waterproof at Shoppers Drug Mart for $4.99. And you really can’t beat that. Every time I see mascaras going for $40 I cringe…
The other mascara beside the first one is another Essence product called “Plump No Clump” and it is another one that’s great for volume. It also retails at $4.99 which is pretty wonderful!
6) The Body Shop “Shimmering Dry Oil” in “Honey Kissed”. Can you tell I like to look shimmery and sun kissed in the Summer? 😉 This product is a bit more of a splurge but you only need to apply the littlest bit to get results. The look is a warm, sunkissed result. I use this on my legs (calves) and shoulders, as well as my collarbone for a bit of bronzing. It has a lightweight, non-greasy finish and goes for $24.00 in Canada and $22 in the U.S. Body Shop locations.
*What are your go – to Summer products?!*
Hey blog friends! It’s been awhile. I finally feel like I can sit down and blog again without my to-do list creeping in and interrupting my thoughts.
So, we finally moved! Yay *cue dancing music* !! It went relatively smoothly and we are so happy to be in the city where Matt has been posted and is working. The commute was a long 3 hour drive for him and even though it wasn’t daily (24 hour shifts), it was getting tiresome. It was also harder on me to not have found prenatal care up where we were, and to be trying to schedule ultrasounds up in our new city without being there yet, without a Dr.’s referral….etc! So let’s just say it was due time to be in our new place!
The moving company the military assigns you to was pretty cool, and the packers did a good job (nothing that was fragile was broken!) too. All of our belongings have turned up as we finished unpacking, and we couldn’t be happier with how the moving experience was.
So I took a bunch of pictures encapsulating the moving process (mainly for my scrapbooking pleasure 🙂 ) and some of the finishing touches around the new house as we’ve been unpacking. I’ve been in my decorating glory (love setting up a new house! 😀 )!
Still working on finishing touches (seems to be an ongoing process), moving things around here and there…Browsing for finishing touches. We also plan to paint most rooms, but while we’re waiting on that, we hung some pictures in the meantime so it’s homey. ❤
The coffee station resides in the dining room, which is kind of perfect. It frees up counter space in the kitchen, as that’s where the coffee maker and kettle reside. Who doesn’t want coffee or tea with their dessert after dinner? 😉 The hutch stores dining room accessories such as extra candles & candle sticks, placemats and cloth napkins on one side. The other side holds (even more!) tea bag varieties, hot cocoa (and a canister of marshmallows!), while the drawers are home to coffee and loose leaf tea filters, a milk frother, stirring spoons and sweetener packets.
The lyric (our wedding song) wall art is hung up again, after being boxed up for 2 years! It’s in the dining room along with my shelf, and chalkboard (menu). The shelf has my Tiffany & Co. candlesticks on there (also boxed away previously), which were a generous gift, and wine glass with corks and a bottle (now vase) from the winery we were married at.
Yeah, so still a work in progress. Office is also now a combo guest room and that’s just about finished…and still hanging photographs each day as I feel inspired as to where they should go. But it’s a fun process and we’re getting there. We had our first guests (my in laws!) come up to see the house and they were also so kind as to look after our cat during the busy moving days. Cats are the most neurotic animals and I think she would have been spooked by the chaos the movers and boxes brought, along with the change of residence! She is doing well though, and seems to love the sliding back door and the views that come with it, and has found many cozy spots to nap. My in laws came along with us to tour the city a little bit, which was nice. A great way to break up the hectic days of setting things up. We were able to check out some of the surrounding areas, as well as tour the air force museum which was kinda cool! Matt and I are also trying to enjoy the rest of the Summer by doing little day trips here and there. We were able to visit a local zoo last weekend and this weekend we look forward to an annual family pool party/ BBQ. The weekend after THAT we are going camping with friends at a provincial park!
In other news, the baby is continually growing and healthy! 😉 I’m currently at 21 weeks and feeling pretty great. My full appetite has returned and I’m no longer quite the picky eater, thankfully. We have our first OB appointment on Thursday and I would love for her to set me up with another ultrasound in order to find out the gender!!
Well, thanks again for letting me catch up and reading all my ramblings 🙂 . I hope & plan to blog again soon.
I don’t know what it is about the Spring, but as soon as it starts getting warmer out, and the days stay light a little longer, I start to crave salads. Winter is over, Spring is finally here, and I make comfort food no more! Gone are the Shepherd’s Pies, meatloaves, chillies, Mac and Cheese dishes and soups from my ‘menu’. I start to say, “Hello” to the crunchy, refreshing, colourful salads of Spring and Summer! A perfect side dish to so many entrees; they’re so versatile! Some of them are hearty enough to BE the main event at a meal!
My my love for salads runs deep, but it can be easy to get bored with them and to get into a bit of a salad rut 😥 . Here are a few of my favourite recipes I’ve collaborated that I have either already tried, or they are on my ‘must-make’ list. Hopefully these can inspire you too!